The Chicken Maqluba is a popular dish in the Middle East such as Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Palestine, as well as Jordan, and Egypt. Chicken Maqluba features rice, meat, vegetables like cauliflower or eggplant, nuts, and spices. Maqluba called also “upside-down”, because flipped upside down when served.
The delicious taste from the chicken, cauliflower, and other ingredients make a perfect combination to provide a satisfactory dish in taste, and nutrition.
Why Is Chicken Maqluba with Cauliflower Good for you?
Maqluba is packed with nutrients and vitamins, which can to boost your health, such as:
- Chicken contains two-thirds more vitamin A. vitamin E, and omega-3 fats. Plus, is a rich source of vitamins B, selenium, choline, and phosphorus.
- Chicken is great source of protein that can helps in maintaining body weight.
- Chicken is contain also selenium that means increase in metabolism rates, which can to boost the immune system, and good digestion.
Cauliflower is a rich source in Antioxidants. One cup of cauliflower contains approx:
- Vitamin C 77%
- Vitamin K 11%
- Folate 13%
- Vitamin B6 11%
In addition to, contains 2 grams of protein, 2.5 grams fiber, and 5g carbohydrates.
Cauliflower is also rich in minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, as well as unsaturated fats, and omega-3 fatty acids. Cauliflower has many health benefits including:
- Helps risk of diabetes. Because it contains vitamin C, and potassium, which works on the regulation of glucose as it is used by the Pancreas to maintain the hormone insulin.
- Helps balance hormones
- Good for pregnant women. Because contains folic acid, and vitamin C.
- Decrease the risk of heart disease
- Reduce the risk of cancer
- Boost immune system
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Helps weight loss
- Improves digestion
- Rich in manganese is especially important in oxygen-related metabolism.
Chicken Maqluba (Upside down) with Cauliflower
Yield: 4 Persons
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Hours
1 chicken cut into 8 pieces with bones
2 kg cauliflower cut into medium rosettes
3 cups medium grain rice
1/3 cup vermicelli
1 tbsp butter
1 large onion cut into fourths
2 large tomatoes cut into rounds of 1 cm
Vegetable oil for frying
Toasted pine nuts
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 tsp grounds cloves
1- Place chicken in a deep pot, cover with water and on a high heat bring to the boil and immediately skim the impurities off surface.
2- Add onion, spices, salt.
3- Leave on a medium heat for one hour or until chicken is fully cooked.
4- Wash the rice and soak in warm water for half an hour then drain.
5– In butter fry vermicelli until golden and mix with rice.
6- Fry cauliflower (or roasted) in oil and drain in a wide pot.
7- Arrange tomatoes, sprinkle with some salt, lay cauliflower on top, then arrange chicken pieces, rice and vermicelli mix. Cover with the chicken stock until it reaches to 3cm over the rice.
8- Put on high heat until liquid comes to the boil, then lower the heat and leave to cook for about half an hour.
9- Turn onto a serving dish and sprinkle with nuts and serve with yogurt and salad.
Nutrition Facts in Chicken Maqluba (Upside down) with Cauliflower
Serving size: 1 serving
Total fat 15g
Vitamin A 19%
Vitamin C 37.9%
Vitamin B-6 10.4%