Moussaka is eggplant, added a tomato sauce, and minced meat or chicken. This dish is one of the most famous in the Arab world such as Syria, Lebanon, Morocco, Egypt, and Palestine.
Chicken Moussaka is not only delicious, but this recipe is very unique and full of nutrients such as protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins, and minerals.
Why Chicken Moussaka is good for you?
The main ingredients in chicken moussaka are chicken, chickpeas, tomatoes, and nuts. All ingredients have many health benefits.
- Chickpeas one of the most popular legumes and consumed every places like Turkey, Egypt, Syria, Morocco, and Jordan. One cup of chickpeas contains approx:
– 70% of folate
– 80% of manganese
– 27% Iron
– 26% phosphorus
– 70 % folate
– 13% potassium
– 17% zinc
– Vitamin 11%
In addition to, chickpeas contain carbohydrates, protein, fiber, and vitamin A, E, and C.
- Chickpeas can boost digestion, maintain blood sugar levels stable, and help reduce heart disease.
- Chickpeas are great source of protein and fiber that can help lower appetite and reduce calories intake in your meals.
- Chicken is loaded with protein, vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B-12, vitamin C, and vitamin E, as well as minerals like magnesium, iron, folate, potassium, phosphorus, and calcium. Chicken health benefits includes can treating anemia, boost immune system, balancing hormones, and may preventing cold or flu.
- Chicken is a rich source of selenium, which can to fight cancer, and other chronic diseases.
Top Chicken Moussaka with Chickpeas
Yield: 4 Persons
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
300 kg minced chicken breast
2 large eggplants
1 cup chickpeas
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
10 cloves garlic, sliced thin
6 tomatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup pine nuts, roasted
Fresh mint, chopped for garnish
Salt and pepper
To roast aubergines:
1- Peel and slice the eggplant lengthwise about 1/2 cm thick. Depending on the size you might get 4 good slices from each one.
2- Brush each slices, both sides with olive oil, sprinkle on some salt and place on a baking tray.
3- Roast the aubergines until golden on both sides.
4- Remove and cool completely and set aside to make the sauce.
5- In a saucepan, heat 2 tbs. olive oil and sauté the minced chicken onions, garlic for 5 minutes.
6- Add the tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes.
7- Add the chickpeas, spices, pomegranate syrup, salt and pepper. Taste to adjust the seasoning. Add in 1/2 the pine nuts.
8- Simmer for 15 minutes more. The chickpeas will help to thicken the sauce.
9- To assemble and serve the Mossaka, take one slice of the cool roasted aubergine and place a heaping spoonful of the chicken sauce and fold over.
10– Place each filled slice on a nice serving platter.
11- Garnish with remaining pine nuts and a sprinkle of mint.
12- Serve hot or cold or best at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts in Chicken Moussaka with Chickpeas Recipe
Serving Size: 1 serving
Total fat 12.4g
Total Carbohydrates 20.7g
Vitamin A 12.3%
Vitamin B-6 18.8%