Sweet-and-Sour Chicken sauce is a simple mixture of ingredients such as sugar, white vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch and water. Historically, sweet-and-sour was very common In Europe but in modern times, the Chinese are the largest practitioners of this cooking type.
Health Benefits of some Ingredients in Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
1- Scallions: As member of the Allium family of plants. Scallions go by name many names, including spring onion, green onion and Welsh onion.
They are cultivated and used the globe but are actually native to China.
Scallions is sweeter, milder flavor than onions and a bit stronger than chives. The scallions are full of benefits for human because they contain a lot of nutrients. One cup 100 grams) of chopped scallions contains: 32 Calories, 207 micrograms vitamin K (259%), 18mg vitamin C (31%), 997 vitamin A (20%), 64 micrograms folate, and 276 mg potassium.
2- Rice Vinegar: Is made from rice or rice wine, is a traditional food in Asian countries and now available in the Untied States. There are benefits of rice vinegar such as:
– Improves Digestive Health: There is a good amount of acetic acid in rice vinegar. This acid aids in boosting your digestive health. In addition, your body would be able to absorb more calcium, potassium and vitamins from foods, which are beneficial for health.
– Liver Tonic: Rice vinegar has been popularly used in Japan as tonic for the liver. It is believed to increase the detoxifying effects of this organ and ensure that it functions normally.
3- Brown Sugar: Is a very popular type of sugar that is regarded around the world. Brown sugar is manufactured in a different chemical process than white sugar, it has a different chemical structure and our bodies react little differently to this. This subtle difference makes brown sugar very useful to the people who want to rebalance their diet.
Brown sugar contains calcium, iron, potassium, and phosphorus that can all help your body reach mineral. hence Chicken recipes are well known to everyone. Find out some more tasty recipes here.
- 300 g. frozen vegetables
- 300 g. chicken breasts cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp Peanut oil or coconut oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger
- 1 Tbsp scallions, minced
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth (low salt)
- 1 Tbsp hot chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- Put frozen vegetables in a bowl of hot water for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan add oil on medium heat.
- Add scallions, and ginger, and stir fry until cooked (for about 3 minutes).
- Add the rice vinegar, brown sugar and chili sauce to the pan.
- In a bowl, mix cornstarch with chicken broth, and add to the pan.
- Leave to a boil on high heat. Afterwards, lower heat to a medium heat.
- Add chicken, leave it for 10 minutes.
- Add veggie and mix gently. Add soy sauce.
- Serving with a steamed rice.