Shawarma is made from marinated meat that has been slow roasted on vertical spit for many hours. The meat can be anything from lamb, chicken or goat, turkey or a combination of any these. Once cooked, the meat is carved off in thin, wide strips and stuffed inside a flatbread along with a variety of vegetables, such as lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, tahini, and parsley.
Today you can find shawarma just about everywhere, from Lebanon and England to Egypt and Australia, with every culture boasting their own style drop by and flavor.
The basic Ingredients of Chicken Shawarma
1- Tahini: In fact, research shows that sesame seeds and thus, tahini have similar immune-boosting, cardiovascular-protective abilities to super foods like olive oil.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database, two tablespoons of tahini provides about 178 calories, 6 grams of carbohydrates and 1.4 grams of dietary fiber.
In addition to contains 16 grams of fat, most of which are healthy types that are beneficial for your overall health. Plus, it’s a great source of vitamins B, magnesium and phosphorus, which may help improve your bone density and lower your risk of developing osteoporosis.
Tahini is a good source of omega- 3 fatty acids, which may help improve your brain health and reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
2- Malt Vinegar: Vinegar is a liquid mainly consisting of acetic acid and water. Vinegar is of many kinds, malt vinegar being one of them. Malt is the term used for germinated dried grains of barley. Once the barley has been malted (which means allowed sprouting) the resulting maltose is brewed into le which is further fermented until it achieves a light brown color which is called malt vinegar. It has a strong and rich flavor barely taste. It is somewhat nutty and toasty. It is a dark colored liquid.
Caution: Malt vinegar contains gluten and therefore is not suited for people with gluten allergies. Find out some more tasty recipes here.
- 8 boneless, chicken thight
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup onion sliced
- 4 cups shredded letuuce
- 8 pita brad rounds
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, mix together the malt vinegar, 1/4 cup of yogurt. 1 tbsp olive oil, mixed spice, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken thighs into the mixture and turn to coat. Cover with marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, mix together the tahnini, 1/4 cup yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cover the chicken and bake in marinate for 30 minutes, turning once.
- Uncover, and cook for an additional time for 10 minutes or until chicken turn browned and cooked.
- Remove from the dish, and cut into slices.
- Place sliced chicken, tomato, onion, and lettuce onto pita breads.
- Roll up, and top with the tahini sauce.