Chicken Soup Coconut Milk is a Thai tradition of living in harmony with nature, when food is eaten as medicine and medicine is taken as food. Thai food is known for its unique combinations of seasoning. Despite it is hot and spicy, Thai cooking is carefully balanced to bring out all the different flavors in a dish. Curries dish, hot chilies, spices coriander, ginger, galangal, cumin, garlic and other common flavoring.
Thai food differs somewhat from one region to another. Seafood is popular in the southern coastal areas. The Muslims in that part of the country favor curries. The spiciest food in found in the northeast which is Chicken Soup Coconut Milk.
The two Basic Ingredients in Chicken Soup Coconut Milk
1- Galangal: This root, part of the ginger family, grows in various parts of Asia and is a staple herb in Thai Cooking. It has many common names in some countries. In Indonesia people called it as “Lengkuas”. Kha in Thailand, greater galangal in English. “kulinjan” in Hindi.
The most impressive health benefits of galangal are its ability to effects on eight different types of cancer as well as reduce chronic, increase sperm motility and protect the brain. Galangal is a good source of fiber and iron, sodium, vitamin A, C, flavonoids, beta carotene and sisterol.
But remember that you should avoid using galangal while pregnant, unless monitored closely by a physician.
2- Fish Sauce: “Nam Pla” in Thai, is one of the basic ingredients in Thai cuisine. Fish sauces made from a mixture a fish and salt has been allowed to ferment for 1 year to 18 months. Anchovies are typically used, although dome fish sauces are also made from other types of fish or squid. Fish sauce is a fragrant aroma and taste. Fish sauce is full of proteins, vitamins and minerals. Find out some more healthy and tasty recipes here.
- 200g chicken breast fillet
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 cups thin coconut milk
- 5 Thai chilies, lightly crushed
- 15 galangal, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk lemon grass, sliced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 3 tbs. fish sauce
- 3 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tbs. chili paste
- Bring the thin coconut milk to a boil; add the lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, and chicken.
- Add the thick coconut milk and flavor with sugar, lemon juice, fish sauce, chili paste and mix
- Add chilies upon serving.
- Use coconut milk as the soup base, add galangal, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, and simmer to blend the fragrance.
- Bring the soup to the boil, and then add chicken.
- For less spice, reduce chili or remove chili seeds.
- Add the coconut cream last for thicker texture.
- Or to thin the soup, only use the coconut milk.