Chicken Bourbon recipe which is incredibly delicious and easy to make. It is usually served with sticky rice, and one of the main ingredients that make it unique is bourbon. Bourbon is a type of American whiskey. The American whiskey bourbon is different from the regular whiskey because it is made up of rye and maize. When chicken is added to it, the flavour is enhanced, and you can feel a very distinctive taste into it. You can follow up the straightforward steps mentioned below.
Ingredients for Chicken Bourbon
- Chicken boneless preferable thigh and leg parts 1 kg
- Bourbon whiskey 1 cup
- Brown sugar 1/2 cup
- Salt (1 tbsp before marinating, one tsp for marinating and one tsp rice)
- Sugar 1 tsp of rice
- Black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Corn flour 2 tbsp
- Dark Sauce 3 tbsp
- Distilled white vinegar (4 tbsp for chicken and 2 tbsp of rice)
- Freshly Crushed or finely chopped Ginger 2 tbsp
- Freshly ground or finely chopped Garlic 2 tbsp
- Green onion finely sliced 3-4 pieces
- Basmati or Japanese rice uncooked 2 cups
- Oil for cooking 4-6 tbsp
- Water 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds 2 tbsp
How to prepare and marinate chicken for chicken bourbon:
- Cut the chicken meat into 2-inch pieces and add 1 tbsp salt to it and let it sit for 2 hours.
- The salt flavour will seep into the chicken, and it will be more flavorful when cooked.
- Rinse chicken with cool water and let the excess water to drain completely from the chicken.
- Add soya sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, black pepper, salt, and bourbon in a bowl and start whisking it until sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
- When chicken is dried adds it into the sauce and mixes it perfectly and let it sit for 30 mins.
- You will observe the soy sauce will change the colour of the chicken.
- Add 2 tbsp of corn flour in a separate bowl and mix it with 1/2 cup of water
- Take a flat frying pan and add oil into it.
- Add chicken to the pan with the remaining marinade into the pan.
- Starting cooking on high flame.
- In 10-12 mins chicken will be cooked, and the sauce will start to thicken up.
- Add cornflour slurry and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- You will also observe the sauce changing its colour and texture.
- Once everything looks perfect turns off the flame and sprinkle some sesame seeds and green onions on it.
How to cook sticky rice:
- Rinse the rice well and let it soak for 2-3 hours prior cooking.
- Boil water in a saucepan adds sugar, vinegar, and salt in the water.
- Add water and fully boil it.
- Remove excess water from the boiled rice and cover it with a lid.
- Covering it with a lid will make it soft and sticky.
How to assemble Bourbon Chicken with Sticky rice:
- Take a small bowl and grease well with oil.
- Start stuffing it with rice and press it firmly
- Invert it on a platter and a perfect round dome-shaped rice ball will lay flat on your plate.
- Add the cooked and warm chicken bourbon with sauce on the side of the rice.
- You can add extra sauce if you want to enjoy a saucier bourbon chicken.
Suggestions and conclusions:
You can enjoy this dish with any drink. We don’t recommend enjoying it with any alcoholic side dish as it already contains bourbon. Try pairing it with any lemonade or cola. Serve warm, and this dish will perfectly serve four people. You can add an extra tablespoon of corn flour and some more water to increase the sauce according to your taste. If you use low sodium soy sauce balance the salt by tasting. Don’t overcook after adding green onion as it will make its look soggy and unappealing.